Tuesday, September 17, 2013

We're Reading and Loving

If you are a book lover and you like supporting New Zealand authors then I can highly recommend Toucan Can by Juliette MacIver.


We have Marmaduke Duck and The Marmalade Jam and I was thrilled to see Gecko Press (who are fabulous publishers of wonderful children's books) pick up her latest offering.

Rhyming books are hard to pull off for children. I feel so disappointed when I get a rhyming book for children where the rhymes are labored and forced - this isn't one of those! The rhymes also have to work regardless of the speed of the reader and their natural rhythm of reading. This book achieves it splendidly.


Perhaps I love this book because it's full of dance and a lot of crazy (both qualities I tend to aspire to myself!). Toucan Can do lots of things, he really can!

The book made both my boys laugh and I laughed out loud when I read it the first time too.


The illustrations capture the movement and fun and Aunti Shanti - is pretty darn fabulous, just saying! As the rhythm of the book accelerates so do the illustrations until the book has it's own kind of wild rumpus on the go. I think Gecko has paired Juliette MacIver and illustrator Sarah Davis really well for this book.

The book will be released next month and I think it would be a fabulous addition under the Christmas tree. I'm so thrilled to see a New Zealand author doing great work and to have this book in our collection. I can see this book being a real family favourite.


Love you more than a little bit of crazy and a whole lot of dance xxx

(last day to enter the giveaway)