Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Books for Children - new on our shelves

Renowned author and illustrator Marie-Louise Gay's new book Any Questions is written as a response to her discussions with children and the questions they ask her about the process of writing a book.

As someone who would love to join the ranks of 'published children's authors' I read this book with my own kinds of interest and questions too.


I love Gay's illustrative style it is whimsical and she creates pages that have an interactive feel to them. Drawing on repeated questions she take the reader on a journey of how she creates and realises stories. This is not a 'how a book gets published' book it is 'how a story comes to life' story.


I think it will appeal to children's natural curiosity and the ranks of story writers and wannabe illustrators (children seem much more honest and upfront about these desires!) who frequent the average classroom. Children are natural storytellers, mine are anyway, and I think this book would be a great jumping off point for teachers and daydreamers. I would have loved this book as a child.


Bounce really enjoyed reading it with me and was especially engaged with the illustrations which provide lots of discussion opportunities.

Details - Allen and Unwin March 2015 RRP $19.99 HB

Thunderstorm Dancing by Katrina Germein and illustrated by Judy Watson is a book I know I will use with young children for dance and drama.


The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and capture the movement and colours of a storm perfectly.


What I love about this story is that it is each member of the family who becomes a part of the storm and I can see children wanting to imitate this with their own extended family.


It's one I think grandparents would love to buy and share and is a perfect read for little people who love to move, make noise and be involved in a great big group collaboration.


The interaction between the text and the illustrations really enhances the overall narrative.

Details - Allen and Unwin March 2015 RRP $24.99, also available as an ebook

love you more than a little daydream in the midst of a hectic day xxx

from time to time I get the opportunity to also interview some of the authors and illustrators - what questions would you want answers for?